Solo Editors Or Specialized Editing Teams – What’s Your Best Option
As a creator, what is the first thing that you try to delegate once you reach a certain level of success and your time starts to go up in value and down in availability? That’s right – the editing. So now that you know that getting help with your editing is the best career move for you as a growing creator, the question is:
WHAT ARE YOUR EDITING OPTIONS?
We all have default behaviors that we act on, and the first answer that comes to our mind is “I’ll bring in this friend/family member who can edit”. It’s easy to see why anyone would choose to delegate such an important part of their job to someone they already know and trust. But unfortunately, there is so much more to YouTube than just knowing general editing, and close friends/family may not necessarily be a good creative/professional match.
The next logical option to consider is “I’ll hire a freelance editor to handle all of my editing and take that weight off my shoulders”. And at first glance, the benefits of this choice might be many and easy to see: this solo editor will be the only person that’s handling your content other than yourself, you’ll have a direct line of communication with them, the heaviest part of your workload will be passed on to them and you never have to worry about editing ever again. Again, easy – right?
WHY A SOLO EDITOR MAY NOT BE THE BEST SOLUTION
Well, to put it plainly, what happens when your editor takes time off work? What happens if they have multiple clients and can’t fit you in their schedule? What if they have technical issues and can’t deliver your videos on time?
On the other hand, how much time does finding and training an editor – the right editor – take? How much does that take away from your workday and how much added stress does it cause for you? What if you can’t find someone who truly understands and matches your editing style?
And even if you do find someone that has all of that covered, how much time are you still spending reviewing their work and going back and forth with them until the video matches your standard? What happens to their workload if you decide to take some time off? That is a lot of extra pressure to take on.
It’s for these reasons that a different alternative has been growing more and more popular recently among YouTube creators: specialized, pre-built, editing teams.
A SPECIALIZED TEAM – WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
All the obstacles that may come up when working with a freelance editor can be overcome with a team set-up, let’s dive in:
- – Once you sign with them, you become a priority client, which means that your content will never come second or be pushed back because someone else had a more urgent request.
- – Being “pre-built” means that there isn’t a hiring process in which you need to invest your time and energy. The only decision you need to make is whether to work with a specialized company or not.
- – Even though each editor gets time off work, the team itself doesn’t take time off your content, because they can cover for any absences and be available to you full time. More generally, the whole “editor management” part of your work as a creator will simply disappear, since pre-built teams come with their own manager, who will funnel any important information over to you and save you the hassle of juggling several people’s requests.
- – Because there are multiple people working on your assigned team, the chances of meeting your editing style or expectations are significantly higher. For example, at Now Creatives, you are assigned your own Content Manager, whose main job is to study your style intricately and make sure that all of your content meets your standards and stays on brand.
- – Within the pre-built team, there are always internal reviews that ensure that no mistakes get past the editor.
- – Depending on the company that you choose, they will be able to handle any extra editing capacity you may need without searching for extra editors.
- – Finally, although no one likes to think about the possibility of things not working out, with a pre-built team, you don’t personally need to let anyone go or break the news to someone who might rely on you for their workload. It’s a simple termination in the interest of better business – no personal conflicts or awkward talks.
There are also some unique advantages to a team set-up that freelance editors (or any one person) are simply not able to offer, such as:
- – Confidentiality and security systems already in place to protect all of your content and communications.
- – Multiple videos in the works at the same time and better consistency in the editing style.
- – Extra services like thumbnail design, creative ideation, TikTok and Instagram edits, banner creation, intro/outro design and more depending on the company. A freelance editor would need the help of other freelancers to be able to offer these services (hired and trained by you).
- – They have a larger collection of resources and tools that most freelance editors can offer, if only because of the cost of the licenses and the diversity of experiences within the team. This means that your content benefits from a much wider range of features.
SO IS A FREELANCE EDITOR NEVER A GOOD CHOICE?
Not at all. There are certain cases where a solo, freelance editor might be a better option than a team set-up, the main two being:
- – If the editor doubles as a videographer and you work with them in both capacities.
- – If you’re on a lower budget and not yet able to afford the availability of a team set-up (in which case, a team option will still be suitable down the line, once your channel has grown enough)
So with all of these points in mind, it might be worth analyzing where your content is and how many of the negative experiences you’ve had (if any) with freelance editors. How many of those are down to them not having a team to manage them and back them up?
Once you make the choice to delegate your editing, depending on where your channel is and how much your time outside of editing is worth, a pre-built team setup could be the answer to all of your editing needs and problems.
How many times have you said to yourself (or to someone else) “I’m just a bit of a perfectionist”? And how many times has that meant endless nights polishing little details and countless re-do’s?
YouTube creators are busy people, made even busier by taking on tasks that they could delegate to others. By not delegating, they end up unintentionally holding themselves back from making more content, saving more time, and staying ahead of the curve. And this doesn’t help them.
So you have a small YouTube channel that you started in order to do more of what you love. You have a small group of followers and you’re becoming increasingly aware of how overwhelming it is becoming to keep your content consistent and your channel growing in subscribers.
At Now Creatives, we know that editing is one of the most time-consuming tasks for YouTube creators. And despite doubts, some creators may initially have, fast, reliable, high-quality editing service, that adapts perfectly to your schedule and does not take any creative control from you is possible!
Different video editors are ideal for different kinds of content and only a select few will be suitable for the specific type of content you create on YouTube. On top of this, the editor needs to learn fast, have the capacity for the amount of editing you need, and be reliable.